Dealing with the digital
TaPRA Postgraduate Symposium
10 – 5.30, 20th March 2010, Bedford Square, London
Invitation and call for papers
Postgraduates and early career researchers are invited to a TaPRA Postgraduate Symposium. The symposium is free for TaPRA members and £10 for non-members (this fee includes TaPRA membership for 2009-10).
Digital technologies are changing the way in which theatre is made, challenging our notions of what theatre is and impacting upon how it is documented and analysed. ‘Dealing with the Digital’ aims to provide a range of perspectives, approaches to, and ideas about how new technologies are influencing the way in which we create, understand, preserve and critically engage with theatre/performance.
The one-day event will be divided into two sections. The morning seminar will focus upon academic development and will be led by Dr Rosemary Klich. The seminar aims to explore the direct impact digital technologies are having upon performance research methodologies.
The second half of the day will be a symposium, followed by a round-table discussion. Postgraduates and early career researchers are invited to present a 10-minute paper on any issue related to technological developments and research.
Specific subjects for investigation might include, but are by no means limited to:
- Performing new technologies: the impact of digital technologies on theatre and vice-versa
- The live, the mediated and the intermedial
- Presence and (dis)appearance
- (Re)shaping notions of scenography and performance space
- Digital technologies’ impact on the reception of theatre/performance
- Specific new technological developments and their theatrical possibilities and/or current application
- Online performance: Virtual Reality and social networking
- The digital archive/library: preservation, documentation and access
For those wishing to present please send the title of your paper and a short abstract (200 words max) to [log in to unmask] by 1st March.
Postgraduates who would like to attend the symposium without presenting should also send an email to [log in to unmask] by 1st March. In the email please state if you are a TaPRA member.
There are a small number of travel bursaries (max £25) available for attendees from outside London. If you would like to be considered for a travel bursary please state so in your email.
Places and bursaries are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Rachel Clements, Virginia Elgar and Michael Pearce
TaPRA Postgraduate Representatives